August 25, 2015

Knitting! Progress and Projects


So I have begun knitting, and so far I am having a lot of fun with it! I started with a little practice swatch (20 stitches across) and tried stockinette, garter, single stitch ribbing, and two stitch ribbing just to get a feel for the process. Then once I learned how to cast off on my practice swatch, I began knitting a scarf! I'm not using a pattern or anything, I just cast on 30 stitches and am using garter stitch for the whole thing so I can practice tension and the art of not-screwing-up. My little scarf is about 15 inches long now! 

Tiny Instagram photo of my little scarf!
 As I feel like this whole learning to knit thing is going pretty well, I have set my sights on sweaters. I have searched for patterns on the great Ravelry (thank you for that recommendation!) I have found the 1930's 3-Hour sweater pattern and I think I will have a go at that for my first sweater project! I have selected a dark mustard/golden yellow colored wool for the project and I think I will be adding some length as I have seen that the sweater can come out quite short with the pattern as is. I am really excited to try making my first ever sweater!

The sweater in question, this one made by heliodor on Ravelry
I have  also found several other contenders for easy-ish sweaters I'd like to try and make soon. I love Ravelry's search function where you can set so many options including level of difficulty!

Example by Alwentz on Ravelry
 This sweater is really simple and pretty! It is worked from the top down which sounds interesting and I could make it shorter for a more vintage look. I really like the detailing around the neckline!

Swing Time sweater by Denise Siegel
 Here is another very vintage sweater! So cute and 40's! I hope this one isn't difficult as I'd like one in several different colors! I like the idea of these higher necks, all the more room for pretty brooches!

'Your Victory Jumper' from the V&A
 This vintage pattern is a popular favorite of many! I can't even imagine doing colorwork, it sounds much too complex for a beginner like me! Still, I think this sweater would look pretty in a solid color don't you? I'm thinking a warm cinnamon brown would be nice! One day I'll try multicolored sweaters. but it sounds way too daunting right now!

knit picks blog
 The biggest problem I have so far is choosing which of the beautiful colors out there to use! I am definitely going to start with the 30's 3 hour sweater in golden yellow, but after that I can't decide! A dark forest green would match a lot of my wardrobe, but I keep finding myself drawn to the heathers as they look so iridescent almost and fun! I could become a yarn hoarder really easily so I ought to be careful!

For those of you that knit, what are you working on/what do you have planned for this season? If any of you guys have retro or retro look patterns you have made and can recommend I am all ears! For those of you who don't, have you seen any cute vintage style sweaters for sale anywhere? I would love to know if any brands out there are making 40's inspired sweaters!

12 comments:

  1. I'm in a perpetual state of crafter's ADD. On needles I currently am finishing up a 30s cami and knickers set (I'm at 85% or so), and I am planning a black star-burst neckline cardigan as the next sweater. On my hooks are an adorable "novelty" turban from 1915 (it BUTTONS over from the back to the front, so it "doesn't muss your hair" how cool!) and my attempt at beaded fishnets a la Alexander McQueen. So far, I'm hating black lace-weight yarn. :-P

    But I too am just in love with the vintage sweaters. I'm less in love with the fact that many are on 3-ply yarn, as tiny needles make for slow projects. So keep an eye out for what yarns are recommended for the sweaters you'd like.

    I haven't done the 3-hour sweater, but it is on my list! You'll have to let us know how it goes! And your scarf is darling. I think you've got a good handle on tension and stitch control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And oh my goodness that is a lot of projects! I can't imagine making fishnets, but those sound AMAZING! I wonder if McQueen ever had them for sale or if they were just for the show.

      Luckily most of the sweaters I am planning on attempting first are worked with worsted yarn so hopefully I won't go mad with tiny stitches just yet. I fell like I can work my way down to thinner yarns! I would love to learn to do lace patterns but it seems like they are done with fingering weight and I don't think I'm ready for that madness yet!

      Delete
  2. Yay! So glad you're enjoying your knitting! Your scarf looks pretty even and nice, you are probably a natural ;) If you ever decide to make the Victory jumper, there's no need to fear multiple colors. The waves take care of themselves, you only change color at the beginning of a row, and then knit for 2, 4 or 6 rows depending. And then you change to the next color. Super easy. The feather and fan-pattern sure is lovely in only one color too, but I just wanted you to know more colors are not hard when they're basically stripes :)

    Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Siri! I'm glad to hear the victory jumper color switching isn't too hard, as I definitely want to make a true red/white/blue one one day! Your victory jumper (and all of your knits) are super inspiring! I cant wait to wear sweaters I actually made myself, what a treat!

      Delete
  3. Terrific sweater inspiration! I especially like that red one - it screams 40s to me. It's wonderful that your knitting is going well so far. I'm delighted for you and hope that things continue positively and that you're able to make all the sweaters of your dreams. :)

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! I am making the red one in a dark mustard yellow colored wool! The yarn is ordered and on it's way to me!

      Delete
  4. Welcome to the wonderful world of knitting! I really hope you are enjoying it, I think it is just the most marvellous thing! I am knitting a 1950's cardigan in teal with lace panels up the front and a 1940's ribbed jumper with a Greek key motif across the front. I have just finished a 1950's bolero for my two year old niece so I will be planning another vintage make for her too. I would check out the two Stitch in Time books by Susan Crawford. They are packed with vintage knits from the 1920's-1950's and she has rewritten the patterns in multiple sizes, as many vintage knitting patterns are only in one (small) size. Both 1940's Style for You and Winifred's Closet (on Instagram and have blogs) are amazing vintage knitters and take commissions. I do sometimes too. I like the look of all your knitting plans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate! I am certainly enjoying it so far, I cant wait to get started on my first sweater soon! I have a huge list of sweaters I want to try and make now! You recent and ongoing projects sound awesome, I'd love to do a sweater with a lace panel in front someday! I have been drooling over 1940's Style for You's blog for days now, and reading up on tips from By Gun By Golly. I just cant't wait to get started, but I must as my lovely wool yarn is still on it's way to me through the void that is snail mail!

      Delete
  5. I'd try the short sleeve sweater by elise laubacher..I'm on my second one and I'd never made a sweater..

    Shelly in CO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation Shelly, I'll go check out that pattern!

      Delete
  6. Ooh! Yay! Welcome to the Yarn Club. It's just as bad as the Fabric Club when it comes to stashing, but I'm sure you've figured that out already. ;) ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonita! Luckily I haven't started hoarding yarn yet, I haven't found a local yarn shop where I can shop in person yet thank goodness! So far I am being good, we shall see how long that lasts!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...